My art, like my life, is an exercise in controlled chaos. The challenge I give myself when creating art is to find ways in which a jumble of lines, shapes and color can be organized into a composed, harmonious experience.
I begin with drawing; attacking the paper with pen, pencil or charcoal, scribbling and smudging as I go. The image eventually emerges, as does a record of the activity and spontaneity involved in the process. By then cutting up my drawings and piecing them back together into abstract collages, I create grid-like compositions. which become the starting point for paintings or prints. I often create multiple pictures from the same composition or elements, but experiment with taking them in different directions. These abstract compositions often have an organic quality suggestive of a figure, or resembling landscape.
Within the organized space are exuberant gesture, line and color, which encourage the eye to move around the surface, making little discoveries along the journey. My goal is to create a balanced composition that conveys energy, rhythm and the excitement of creating.
Deborah Addison Coburn is a painter, printmaker and collage artist in the Washington, DC area. She received a BFA in painting from Cornell University, where she studied with Gillian Pederson-Krag and May Stevens.
After post-graduate study in painting, graphic design and illustration at the Maryland Institute College of Art, she worked as an advertising art director at Doner Advertising and Smith Burke & Azzam in Baltimore, MD, and at Tracy-Locke/BBDO in Dallas, TX.
Returning to painting, Ms. Coburn studied at the Corcoran School of Art with William Christenberry, William Willis and Steven Cushner. Her work has been exhibited in solo and group shows in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. Ms. Coburn’s work has been included in McLean Project for the Arts’ prestigious juried show Strictly Painting VII and she has been a Bethesda Painting Awards finalist.
Corcoran College of Art, Continuing Studies, Washington, D.C.
Advanced Painting and Drawing with William Christenberry
Contemporary Painting with William Willis
Abstract Painting with Steven Cushner
Between Paint & Print with Carolyn Hartmann
Yellow Barn, Glen Echo Park, Bethesda, MD
Advanced Figure Drawing and Painting with Lida Stifel
Washington Studio School, Bethesda, MD
Painting with Carolyn Reece-Tomlin
Maryland Institute, College of Art, Baltimore, MD
Graphic Design with Jerry Litofsky
Illustration with Bill Burrows
Painting with Dick Ireland
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY - B.F.A.: Painting
• New Members Show, All Members Group Show - Studio Gallery, Washington, DC
• McLean Art Fest - Outdoor juried art fair - McLean Project for the Arts, VA
• 9/11 Commemorative Invitational Exhibition – Group show – Columbia Art Center, MD
• Between Paint & Print – Solo show – Hoffberger Gallery at Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, MD
• Cultural Studies Abroad Group show – Parish Gallery, Washington, DC
• Of a Piece – Solo show – McLean Project for the Arts, McLean, VA
• Bethesda Painting Awards – Juried group show, Fraser Gallery, Bethesda, MD
• Corcoran College of Art Print Show – Juried group show, Washington, DC
• Strictly Painting VII – Juried group show, McLean Project for the Arts, VA
• Artomatic 2009 – Non-juried art fair, Washington, DC
• Luxmanor Spring Art Show– Juried group show, Rockville, MD
• Esprit de Corps – Juried solo show – Montpelier Art Center, Laurel, MD
• Body Piecing – Juried solo show – The Art League Gallery, Alexander, VA
• Art & Politics - Juried Group Show - The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA
• The Bluest Day - Visual Meditations on 9/11 - Solo show, Foundry Gallery, Washington, DC
• Winter White - Members group show - Foundry Gallery
• Celebrate! - Members re-opening group show, Foundry Gallery
• Color My World - Members group show, Foundry Gallery
• Figure Show - Members group show, Foundry Gallery
• Figure Show: MOCA Gallery - Group show - Washington, DC
• Bethesda Painting Awards, Finalist
• Strictly Painting 7, Finalist
Studio Gallery, Washington, DC - Juried member
International Arts & Artists, Washington, DC - Member
Art registry of the September 11 Memorial & Museum, New York, NY
The Art League, Alexandria, VA - Member
Washington Project for the Arts, Washington, DC - Member
Maryland Art Place, Baltimore, MD - Member
Foundry Gallery, Washington, DC - Juried member
Co-founder and partner in Faux Biz, a decorative painting company, Washington DC metro area
Advertising Art Director: W.B. Doner Advertising, Baltimore, MD; Smith Burke & Azzam, Baltimore, MD; Tracy-Locke/BBDO, Dallas, TX
First Friday Reception - October 5, 4-6pm
Artist's Reception - Saturday, October 13, 4-6pm
Closing Reception- Saturday, October 27, 4-6pm
2108 R Street, NW
Washington, DC 20008
© 2014 | www.dacoburn.com